This scarf is knitted in garter stitch only, but with square shaped holes. Once you've mastered how to do the square holes, it's good TV or travel knitting.
This pattern contains a photo tutorial on how to knit the square holes without cutting the yarn, instructions on how to knit a small swatch to get the hang of the technique and of course the instructions to knit this scarf.
The PDF is 6 pages long and available for purchase
- about 300 grams of lace weight yarn – I used Wollmeise Lace – colorway “Pfefferminz Prinz”
- 3.25 mm knitting needles - I used circulars, but straight needles will do as well
- a removable stitch marker to mark the RS (scrap yarn or a safety pin works as well)
- a tapestry needle to weave in ends
Gauge and Size
In garter stitch 10 ridges (i.e. 20 rows) gave 5 cm in height, 11 stitches gave 5 cm in width. This was measured on a unblocked piece.
The finished scarf measures about 42 cm in width and about 200 cm in length (blocked).
Besides plain garter stitch you need the following skills to complete this project:
- Backwards Loop CO
- k2togtbl - knitting two stitches together through the back loop