So why not knit a few of these lovely little hearts to decorate your home, presents etc. I found that they could be quite addictive and once I started, I couldn't stop knitting them.
Even though these hearts are 3-dimensional they are knitted back and forth. They are constructed of short rows and knitted all in garter stitch. They come in three different sizes.
These little garter stitch hearts may also be a lovely way to practice your knitting skills – especially magic CO and grafting in garter stitch.
As to the name, "Herzchen" is the German word for little heart.
- an explanation of the general construction
- six explanatory photos
- row-by-row patterns for these hearts in 3 sizes
- charts for hearts in 2 sizes
- yarn – basically leftovers - I different kinds of yarn – and self-striping fingering weight yarn)
- knitting needles – I used straight knitting needles, 2 mm for fingering weight yarn, i.e. always smaller needles than the yarn called for – in order to get a tight texture
- stuffing - I used the yarn ends and fabric scraps that I had saved from previous knitting or sewing projects
- a tapestry needle for grafting and weaving in ends
- one removable stitch marker
In order to knit such a three-dimensional heart, you need the following knitting skills
- Magic CO
- Short rows - with wrap and turn
- Grafting in garter stitch
- Basic increases and decreases (ssk and kfb)