That thought matured quite some time in my head, and this weekend I thought I'd give it a try and started to construct a cardigan. I used different grey(ish) jersey fabrics - leftovers and recycled old t-shirts. I didn't use a pattern but eyeballed the pieces when cutting and assembling them (with my measurements in the back of my head).
Unexpectedly, it actually worked and I had a finished jacket on Saturday evening. The piece fits me well - even though the seams are not what you'd call neat and tidy ;-)
So, I decided to make a second one on Sunday - using two old XL sized t-shirts - also in the "seams on the outside"-look. Unfortunately, the two of the thread bobbins were empty, so I had to learn how to thread the machine (and it wasn't that difficult - except for the fine motor skills that you need to thread the needles :)
This second one (in light green and teal) is less successful in terms of fitting, but it's still basically a wearable jacket.
There are several things that I learned when making these two jackets:
- threading an overlocker is easier than it first seems
- when using an overlocker I use up much more thread than I ever expected
- thread tension is important
- two XL t-shirts (especially if they are old and a bit distorted) are not quite enough to make a jacket for me
- when cutting pieces, better err on the generous side :)