Freitag, 2. Februar 2018

Leftovers

When you knit a lot, you always have leftovers ... and it's usually difficult to find suitable projects for them. One idea is to use different leftovers (three at a time) and switching colors after each row. And once one skein is finished to replace it with the next one. This means that the colors are evenly distributed - and the unused yarn can be carried up easily after each row.
So I looked through my stash and picked all kinds of fingeringh weight yarns in different shades of blue. Than I started with a chevron pattern on a bias - with the plan of knitting a cowl (flat, starting with a provisional CO and finished by grafting).


I really liked it at the beginning, but I hadn't reckoned with the fact that my leftovers were a bit too long to achieve the sort of randomness that I had hoped for. So that nearly half of the piece is blue with turquoise, and the next half would be blue with another color inbetween - and I don't like the idea of two halves of my cowl being so different in color - mixed up would be OK but not with such a clear border. Also, I^ve started to think that the piece is not wide enough for my taste - even though I did a cast on of 100 stitches, only half of them make up the width.


Currently, I'm not sure whether I will continue this piece, frog it and start in the same color scheme but with 5 strands at the same time (and switching them after each row, but that's a yarn tangle waiting to happen), or whether I'll start something with different leftovers - chosen not only for their colors but also for their length :)

4 Kommentare:

  1. nein, nicht ribbeln, Sybil, das sieht so prima aus;-)

    leg

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Danke dir, aber ich habe es doch aufgetrennt, weil mich der zu erwartende Farbsprung wirklich gestört hätte. Habe es neu angeschlagen und die Farben (hoffentlich :) besser verteilt ... und das ganze dabei gleichzeitig auch etwas breiter gemacht.

      Löschen
  2. Yes I have also left over with me and I use it to make crochet baby blanket. Thanks for sharing this knitting idea for left over.

    AntwortenLöschen